Cdcovers.cc Forums

Welcome to the Cdcovers.cc Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features, most noticeably request covers. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, play the arcade, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Cdcovers.cc Forums > General Topics > Newbie Forum

Newbie Forum If you are new to this forum, or have any stupid questions. Start here and please don't be offended if your question is moved here, we all started out as newbies once

Old 30-08-2009, 09:05

Default How to print off dvd labels/covers?

Hi,

New community member here,

I was looking into this the other day but found to many adverts for various solutions, so rarther than reading through tons of reviews of other products i thought id ask for the expertise of experienced members of this forum for advice.

I just want to be able to print off dvd labels and covers. Currently i trialed that cover xp for a dvd cover and it gave me excellent results i thought for the cover, however i haven't done a label yet.

I would like advice on whether i need any software to print the labels off and also which software is best/easiest? Like i said im using cover xp which can print dvd covers and labels, but i dont know how to do labels, e.g what label paper to buy, that matches the cover xp templates.

Hope ive made myself clear on my objective but to summerise...id like reccomendations and advice on how to print off dvd labels and covers inc any software reccomendations and guides, what paper to use ect?

Any info would greatly be appreciated
Many thanks Bob
Old 30-08-2009, 16:00
Classic Rock Rules

Hello and welcome to the forum

Let me start by saying, what you posted here is the best decision you've made on this subject.
Quote:
rather than reading through tons of reviews of other products i thought id ask for the expertise of experienced members of this forum for advice.
If you read through all the posts about printing labels in this forum you would find one common thing, and that is to never ever use paper stick on labels on DVDs. When you play a DVD in a player, it heats up. As it heats up, the glue begins to expand. As it expands it makes the disc thicker and can drag across the top of the disc and can also throw the disc out of balance. All of this creates CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) errors. So what good is putting a paper label on a disc if it makes it unplayable? Less than 10% of the people that use paper labels claim they never had any problems, but I'm sure if they tried those discs in someone else's player they may find that those people would have trouble with them. The people making the labels don't care if it plays, as long as they can make money selling them.

The only real solution is to buy a printer that prints directly to the disc itself, that's how the majority of the members in this forum do it. This means that you will also have to buy discs that allow you to print on. These printers are just like every other printer, and you can even get an all-in-one, it's just they have an extra feature where they can print on a disc. Epson sells a few models of printer with this feature, and so does Canon. HP also sells one that will do it, but I don't suggest buying an HP. Epson holds the patent for it in the US, so Canon doesn't sell this type in the US. If you live in Europe or Australia then Canon is an option, but if you live in the US then Epson is the only real choice you have.

I know you'll say, but I already have a printer. And I'll say that if you were planning on printing 100's of labels in the lifetime of the printer like the rest of us, then the savings from not having to buy paper labels will more than pay for the printer.

Another great thing I found out about owning an Epson is that you can get a CISS (Continuous Ink Supply System) for it. Note that you can only find a CISS on line, because stores make so much money selling you ink cartridges that they won't sell them. This gives you external ink tanks that you just refill when they get low so you never run out of ink. The savings from this more than pays for itself, the entire system including ink costs as much a one set of Epson ink cartridges. And this is more ink than you would get in ten sets of cartridges. When you run out of ink, you just buy more ink and that's cheaper still. So if you don't have a setup like this, you're throwing away your money.

So the bottom line is that when you own an Epson printer with a CISS, you not only save big money on everything you print but you also have the ability to print on discs.

P.S. If you're not experienced with burning DVDs, you need to ask about burn speeds and brands of discs.

BEER is proof that God wants us to be happy
Ben Franklin
Old 30-08-2009, 17:07

Default How to print off dvd labels/covers?

Thanks very much for the valuable info on this matter, i will look into the printer suggestion and see if any come with those ciss systems you mentioned online, seems the more professional and logical route to go down.

Regarding the dvd covers, ive read that standard matt photo paper is good for printing onto and is quite cheap so i'll look into that also, and i can use the cover xp software to handle the technical placing and straight cover printing.

Regarding the print onto disc..i assume you can do this with the software thats bundled with the printer, or can you choose this option from the cover xp settings?

I now have a pretty good idea (for a beginner) on how to do some test printing, and i much appreciate your expertise.

Many thanks
Regards
Bob
Old 30-08-2009, 17:52
Classic Rock Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbob247 View Post
Thanks very much for the valuable info on this matter, i will look into the printer suggestion and see if any come with those ciss systems you mentioned online, seems the more professional and logical route to go down.
You can't buy the printer with the CISS included, you need to buy them separately. Epson sells their printers real cheap hoping that they make all their money but selling you replacement ink cartridges. It's like a drug dealer giving you free samples to get you addicted, thereby creating a new repeat customer. If they included a CISS, that would defeat the purpose.
Quote:
Regarding the dvd covers, ive read that standard matt photo paper is good for printing onto and is quite cheap so i'll look into that also, and i can use the cover xp software to handle the technical placing and straight cover printing.
Try looking into brochure paper, it's glossy and the resolution is almost as good as premium photo paper, matte paper seems to bleed so you lose the resolution. Brochure paper is also less expensive than photo paper. Brochure paper is really just a description that a few paper suppliers use, it's really just a given weight and glossiness. And remember that whatever you buy, it has to say "ink jet" or you won't be able to print on it. I remember that Kev1952 had some good suggestions on what brand and part number to look for.
Quote:
Regarding the print onto disc..i assume you can do this with the software thats bundled with the printer, or can you choose this option from the cover xp settings?
Yes, you're right. You get a program called Print CD that is bundled with an Epson printer, and Canon calls theirs CD LabelPrint. You can also use a variety of other programs that will work too.

If you do a search, you should find more threads in the forum on each of these subjects. Different people have different opinions, and sometimes it's best to listen to more than one point of view. Kev1952 prefers Canon over Epson, but I live in the US so I have an Epson.

Ben Franklin
Old 30-08-2009, 18:17

Default cutting the covers

Hi,

yea thanks for that, one more thing i forgot, how to cut out the covers, or buy paper made to measure? do i just buy a hand A4 guillotine and cut out like that or is there another method?

cheers
Old 31-08-2009, 01:13
Classic Rock Rules

I use a guillotine

Ben Franklin
Old 05-09-2009, 08:12

Default Print software

I use ( undercover xp ) and Matte Paper that should do it for you.
Ivanhoe122