Cdcovers.cc Forums

Welcome to the Cdcovers.cc Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features, most noticeably request covers. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, play the arcade, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Cdcovers.cc Forums > Entertainment Talk > Help! I Can't Remember

Help! I Can't Remember Use this forum when you have that tune playing in your head and you're humming along but can't remember who sang it, or what the name of the song is

Old 28-04-2005, 18:01

Default Who sings the song Cocaine?

i had an arguement with a friend today, i am almost positive its Eric Clapton, but they tried to say it was ZZ Top, can anyone tell me which?
Old 28-04-2005, 18:12
I live here!

Thanked 1,348 Times in 963 Posts

Eric Clapton 1977

look here
Old 28-04-2005, 18:25
I live here!

definately eric clapton
Old 28-04-2005, 21:03
Classic Rock Rules

Although Eric Clapton performed it and made it famous, JJ Cale wrote it and performed it first. If you weren't really familiar with the two versions and heard JJ Cale, you might mistake it for Clapton because it's that close.

Although Gracenote (CDDB) claims there is a disc by ZZ Top where they do Cocaine, I can't find any proof that this CD even exists.

http://www.gracenote.com/xm/pcd/rock...da90730e4.html

It's also possible that person heard ZZ Top do it live in concert, even The Who did Beatles songs in concert. As long as they don't put them on a CD then they can do anything they like.

Either way, Cocaine? Definately Eric Clapton.

BEER is proof that God wants us to be happy
Ben Franklin
Old 01-05-2005, 00:10
The Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean0
i had an arguement with a friend today, i am almost positive its Eric Clapton, but they tried to say it was ZZ Top, can anyone tell me which?
As donski said, it was originally recoreded by JJ Cale but after that is where I disagree with him. Eric Clapton did also make a recording of this song but, to me, the original is definitely the best. I can remember back to when it was released (Cale) and spending quite a lot of time (and money) playing it on the Jukebox at the local pizza shop with it cranked up LOUD!!!

Founder of the Cdcovers Canon PIXMA club

"Have you crashed your Windows today?"

Click here for templates. Click here to search the forums.

I will not reply to email's or PM's that should be posted in the forums!

AnyDVD - The greatest decrypter known to man!!
Old 01-05-2005, 17:26
Classic Rock Rules

I'm not sure what you disagree with Kev. I too prefer the JJ Cale version of Cocaine over the Clapton version. This is why I felt I had to mention Cale. My point of saying "Cocaine? Definately Eric Clapton" was that when you ask the question, "Who sings Cocaine?" most people today would reply with Clapton. I'm sure he's sold far more copies than Cale. It's also like asking "Who sings Hound Dog?". Most people would reply with Elvis Presley and very few would answer with Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thorton. Or if you asked "Who sing I'm Just A Gigolo?". Most people today would say David Lee Roth instead of Louis Prima. It's not who you or I think of when these songs are mentioned, but who most people think of. It's a refection of the time and what's being played on the radio today. I was appalled when I heard someone say that "Come Together" was an Aerosmith song. By us talking about this is really showing our age, because I too pumped a lot of money into jukeboxes playing JJ Cale back in the late 70's.

Cheers....
Old 01-05-2005, 23:18
The Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by donski
I'm not sure what you disagree with Kev. I too prefer the JJ Cale version of Cocaine over the Clapton version. This is why I felt I had to mention Cale. My point of saying "Cocaine? Definately Eric Clapton" was that when you ask the question, "Who sings Cocaine?" most people today would reply with Clapton. I'm sure he's sold far more copies than Cale. It's also like asking "Who sings Hound Dog?". Most people would reply with Elvis Presley and very few would answer with Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thorton. Or if you asked "Who sing I'm Just A Gigolo?". Most people today would say David Lee Roth instead of Louis Prima. It's not who you or I think of when these songs are mentioned, but who most people think of. It's a refection of the time and what's being played on the radio today. I was appalled when I heard someone say that "Come Together" was an Aerosmith song. By us talking about this is really showing our age, because I too pumped a lot of money into jukeboxes playing JJ Cale back in the late 70's.
Point taken and I am suitably chastised! We ought to start a quiz with some of the older pop songs and see who is actually able to correctly identify the original artist. And, yes, we ARE both showing our age.....

Old 02-05-2005, 01:18
Classic Rock Rules

Although I know more than most people I know, I know I couldn't compete with my brother or cousin so there is a very good chance that you know more than me. Everyone has their own favorites and it's usually influenced by the city they grew up in, and we're in different countries so it would be hard to find a truely level playing field. Also my knowledge is geared mainly in the late 60's / early 70's music, get me out of that and I'm lost. Even my nephew knows more about the 80's and 90's than I do.

I've read a few of your posts and admit that you know far more about computers than I do. Even though I wired a Commodore 64 to a dart board, 6502 assembler if you remember.

Cheers to you Kev, someone I highly respect.

Don
Old 02-05-2005, 01:44
The Doctor

Quote:
Although I know more than most people I know, I know I couldn't compete with my brother or cousin so there is a very good chance that you know more than me. Everyone has their own favorites and it's usually influenced by the city they grew up in, and we're in different countries so it would be hard to find a truely level playing field. Also my knowledge is geared mainly in the late 60's / early 70's music, get me out of that and I'm lost. Even my nephew knows more about the 80's and 90's than I do.
You do yourself a dis-service - I'm not bad at it but I wouldn't win any competitions either!

Quote:
I've read a few of your posts and admit that you know far more about computers than I do. Even though I wired a Commodore 64 to a dart board, 6502 assembler if you remember.
The old C64! Of all the computers I have or have used my favourite has to be the 64 - I learnt more about computers from it than any other! It was great fun making it do things that Commodore reckoned it wouldn't do. I actually ran a BBS on mine (albeit a small one) at 1200 baud - dynamite quick in those times. You mention 6502 assembler - again it taught me a lot of things (I think the main thing was that computers were logical beasts that never assumed anything - it was like teaching a baby to talk). But I digress..... mention a 64 too me and I'm hooked!

Quote:
Cheers to you Kev, someone I highly respect.
Thank you for that, but I am only a humble computer junkie.

Old 02-05-2005, 02:25
Classic Rock Rules

You might like this story, Kev.

Connecting that dartboard to that 64 was a real project. I first had to make all my own contacts inside the board using sheets of mylar, .002 stainless steel and double stick carpet tape making an 8 X 8 matrix. Then I needed a way to connect it to the computer so I cut up an old PCI card to fit inside of an old video game cartridge. Mounted a 6526 chip on that. The 6526 is the same chip they used to read the keyboard so I knew how to read it, just point to a different port. Mounted a 25 pin printer cable socket on both the cartridge and dartboard so I could use a printer cable extension cord to connect them. Then of course I programed it all with half a dozen games. Six players, you can enter your names and edit the scores. Cricket still gets played the most.

I'm really not a computer junkie, I'm an electrician, that had taken TV repair back in the 70's, that has also enjoyed playing with computers. Almost every piece of electronics I bought in the 80's I had taken apart and modified. We all have our hobbies.

See you later in other threads, this one is getting way off topic.

Don
Old 21-05-2005, 06:12
COMPLETELY INSANE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean0
Yep Clapton as well as JJ Cale (others would have done covers) but those two are the most common.
Old 21-05-2005, 09:00
The Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddles
Yep Clapton as well as JJ Cale (others would have done covers) but those two are the most common.
I've heard both (and I'm a mad Clapton fan) and JJ Cale's version would have to be the best!

Old 25-07-2005, 12:50

Default Eric Clapton Blues Tribute

I'm a fan of both and by the way I need the covers for "A Blues Tribute To Eric Clapton".
I'm on a Radiostation doing a program called "Myths and Legends of Pop Rock" where I tell the story of different bands and singers while playing songs of all their records. From June to end of September though, i'm playing live concerts.
Fridays at 21:00 spanish time at www.radiorobines.com

Old 25-07-2005, 23:22
What should I type here??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1952
We ought to start a quiz with some of the older pop songs and see who is actually able to correctly identify the original artist. And, yes, we ARE both showing our age.....
Great idea Kev, as I sit here I know there are hundreds of covered songs out there that most people wouldn't know they are covers ("Turn The Page" Jon English, Metallica or was there someone else. "Whiskey In The Jar" Thin Lizzy, Metallica or........). By the way JJ Cale's is the best version.

Last edited by wazzzza; 25-07-2005 at 23:23. Reason: Tyypo Agiann
Old 26-07-2005, 00:15
Classic Rock Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzzza
Great idea Kev, as I sit here I know there are hundreds of covered songs out there that most people wouldn't know they are covers ("Turn The Page" Jon English, Metallica or was there someone else. "Whiskey In The Jar" Thin Lizzy, Metallica or........). By the way JJ Cale's is the best version.
I always thought that "Turn The Page" was Bob Seger. I was at the "Live Bullet" concert when they recorded the most popular version of that song. And I'm sure that some of the whistling on the record is me.

BEER is proof that God wants us to be happy
Ben Franklin