Cdcovers.cc Forums

Welcome to the Cdcovers.cc Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features, most noticeably request covers. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, play the arcade, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Cdcovers.cc Forums > Hardware Talk > CD/DVD Burners

CD/DVD Burners Don't know what drive/device to buy, or do you have problems with your current set up ? Be sure to take a look here

Old 08-10-2011, 21:48
Only for V.I.P

Default changing face of Hard disk drives

Hi
I thought i would just add a bit about disk drives for the unenlightened lol well i can go back a fair ways and its not too long ago when i paid over £100 for a 1Gb drive the last HDD i bought a few weeks ago was 2TB for less than £100 what im saying is how they have changed but dont be fooled by low prices the SSD or Solid State drive is being steadly launched in small increments to make more money i think the largest i have seen so far is 64GB i might be wrong there could be larger but the manufactuars tend to release things a bit at a time like they did with CD AND DVD Drives 2x 4x 8x 16x 24x 32x 40x etc and i like alot more fell for it and bought a new one every time and the same thing will happen with SSD but i for one will be waiting until the price comes down but as a guess i would say this is why HDD in general are cheap at the moment when new ram is realeased the preceeding ram goes really cheap and so on i dont know if anyone as noticed these tendancies but in general most if not all computer hardware is subject to this kind of marketing but it only really concerns people that self build and i dont think there is as much of that as there used to be it would be interesting to hear from people that are still building there PC i certainly am and have just built a QUAD core pc and its great.

ok hope this hasnt bored anyone and that it might be useful to someone i used to run a PC shop and i will gladly answer anyones quieries if i can with in reason lol

Kind Regards

Apollo
Old 14-10-2011, 21:26
Only for V.I.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo21 View Post
not too long ago when i paid over £100 for a 1Gb drive the last HDD i bought a few weeks ago was 2TB for less than £100
And me
Just think of the money we spend on these machines, we must be crazy.
A 1gb HD can be bought for £30 now.

Quote:
the SSD or Solid State drive is being steadly launched in small increments to make more money
Trust me, SSD have always been around, their price was what made them unpopular, now they are being manufactured cheaply the price is falling quickly, a 64 Gb SSD would have cost you hundreds of pounds only a couple of years ago, now I have seen them for sale for about £60, as with everything, technology moves on, and evolves, with manufacturing competition comes cheaper prices for the consumer, and there is no arguement, SSD drives are second to none, and quiet simply the choice of hard core PC users, their data speed cannot be beaten, especially for gaming.

Quote:
i think the largest i have seen so far is 64GB
I have seen 512gb SSD's for sale if you have £600 to spare

Quote:
the manufactuars tend to release things a bit at a time like they did with CD AND DVD Drives 2x 4x 8x 16x 24x 32x 40x etc
I think that was due to technological advances in media not greed

Quote:
and i like alot more fell for it and bought a new one every time
LOL, I only buy a new burner when the old one gets ropey, and I still burn DVDR at 8x and DL at 6x regardless of the disc or burners ability, any faster than those speeds and you are asking for trouble.

Quote:
the same thing will happen with SSD but i for one will be waiting until the price comes down
Amen to that

Please Note - when requesting/posting - Please use the 'Thanks' button or reply with a Thankyou AFTER receiving the Help/Covers you required

Last edited by froggythrower; 14-10-2011 at 21:29.
Old 19-10-2011, 17:38
COVERS R US

Thanked 69,792 Times in 55,642 Posts

The bigger they get the harder they fall

Never more true than with HDDs, its not practical to back up 2 and 3TB drives so if they do break you lose an awful lot of stuff

Id like SSDs as for my limited understanding they last much longer as there are no moving parts but as I currently have 9.5TB I would need to remortgage lmao

Dont forget to say thank you to whoever sends your covers, manners cost nothing and it takes seconds to press the thank you button!!

Old 19-10-2011, 21:57
Only for V.I.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triksta View Post
I currently have 9.5TB I would need to remortgage lmao

I've got 4TB spread out over 9 smaller drives and thats far too much for my liking

You must need all that storage space now you are the new 'covers' oracle

Please Note - when requesting/posting - Please use the 'Thanks' button or reply with a Thankyou AFTER receiving the Help/Covers you required
Old 19-10-2011, 22:11
COVERS R US

Thanked 69,792 Times in 55,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythrower View Post

I've got 4TB spread out over 9 smaller drives and thats far too much for my liking

You must need all that storage space now you are the new 'covers' oracle

LOL, it doesnt take long to fill what with Photos, Tv eps, films, music, games and covers of course. I also back up the important stuff like photos and the covers obviously as they represent many hundreds of hrs work so I'd be gutted to lose them

Dont forget to say thank you to whoever sends your covers, manners cost nothing and it takes seconds to press the thank you button!!

Old 27-10-2011, 22:08
I live here!

Thanked 6,546 Times in 3,820 Posts

Doesn't look like the cheap drives lasted too long

1TB drive now averaging around £80-90 and 2TB drive around £110-120

Lookily i recently added another 2TB drive to my media server (total 9.5TB) so hopefully by time i need another the prices will of dropped again.

Also i have a OCZ Vertex 2E SSD (60GB) drive in my main PC which i use as a boot drive and main programmes (still have around 20GB free) and i probably wouldn't go back to a mechanical drive for a main drive. Windows loads pretty quick plus intensive programmes like photoshop run very smooth and loads in around 2-3 seconds ... yep i am inpatient
Old 27-10-2011, 22:31
Only for V.I.P

A message displayed on one of the hardware sites I use now and then

Quote:
Due to current volatility in the hard drive market* we are currently unable to list stock and prices. Please contact us at sales@diskdepot.co.uk with your requirements if you wish to purchase a hard drive from us.

*Floods in Thailand have shut down factories belonging to Western Digital, one of the largest manufcturers of hard drives, leading to a severe shortage of stock and major price increases.

Hard drives and water don't seem to mix well

The Following User Says Thank You to froggythrower For This Useful Post:
JammieD (28-10-2011)
Old 11-11-2011, 14:52

My Kids ask me every year what i want for Xmas, i just say get me a new ex hdd, saves me a fortune, ive got four now, it will be five this Xmas, takes me a year to fill a 2tb one up.
Old 12-03-2012, 18:46

Default bravo ))

very usefull message bravo )
Old 04-05-2012, 00:59

Default hard drives

Although you posted 8 months ago, I just started looking at cdcovers forums again and am also interested in external hard drives for my iMac. I'm in the USA and I know everything costs more there but since the same products are available to both of us, I'd like to hear what you think about quality and value in external hard drives. I can also mount bare drives in case. My connectivity requirements are USB 2.0 or Firewire 400 or Firewire 800. I will not buy a SSD until or if the prices fall. I'm retired and speed is no longer essential or in some cases, possible. :-)
Old 08-09-2012, 22:11
Only for V.I.P

Jeez, a 120 gig SSD for £40

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120gb...cache-12000-io

Seriously thinking of getting into SSD now